Window Treatment Installation & Operation
Hunter Douglas recommends using a window covering professional to measure and install your window shades and blinds for proper fit and function. Most authorized Hunter Douglas dealers will include this service when purchasing a new product.
Things to consider that ensure proper fit and function of window coverings:
- Are your window frames square?
- Should you consider an inside- or an outside-mounted installation?
- Which products have an inherent gap between the shade and the window frame?
Measurement and Installation
Anything less than a perfect fit means less than a perfect look. So when you're ready to find the right window covering, you'll want to make the most of your investment by hiring a professional installer. See your Hunter Douglas dealer to get in touch with a professional installer you can trust.
Prefer to do it yourself? Many of our products offer installation & operation guidelines on their respective Product Details page within the Manuals tab. Generally speaking, we recommend you keep a few things in mind for starters:
- Measure each window thoroughly. This includes horizontal measurements at the top, center and bottom, and vertical measurements along both sides and at the center. Then take the additional and important step of measuring diagonally too. These measurements combined will reveal whether or not your window is square.
- If a window isn't square, consider an outside mount, installing the window covering above your opening.
- If your window treatment telescopes to one side as it is raised, the window may not be level. Many shades have an adjustable bottom rail weight. It can be moved to compensate for the window frame and prevent telescoping.
Things to Consider Before Purchasing
Our longstanding commitment to quality and innovation means you'll enjoy choices at Hunter Douglas that you won't find anywhere else.
There are many things to consider before purchasing a quality Hunter Douglas product:
- What is your decorating style? Contemporary, traditional, rustic?
- Is privacy and light control a main concern?
- Which material will work best in your room? The type and color of fabric will affect the amount of light coming into your room.
- Do you want a shade that rises fully for the view, or a sheer that gives view through with UV protection?
- How do you want to operate your shade? There are many options from cordless to motorization.
An authorized Hunter Douglas specialist will be able to help you decide exactly what will work best for you.
Where can I find Installation & Operation Manuals?
Guidelines for each product can be found on the respective Product Details page within the Manuals tab. Click here to access a complete index of manuals for common installations by product line.
It is important to know the required space and correct type and quantity of installation hardware to safely and securely install a window covering.
Things to consider before installing a product:
- What mounting depth is needed to properly mount your installation hardware?
- Is the mounting surface level? (Have shims handy before installation.)
- What type of surface will the brackets be mounted to? (For example, drywall, cement, wood, etc.)
- Are anchors needed to hold the brackets? (Not included with installation hardware.)
If you need assistance with installing your product, please contact one of our Customer Information Product Specialists at (800) 789-0331.
LIVE CHAT Monday-Friday 9AM-7:30PM ET