As an interior designer, I often work with clients on designing bedrooms that not only look great but provide essential elements for ensuring a good night's sleep. Here are seven tips for helping you to create the perfect sleeping space—the first two are decidedly from my designer's perspective, the others are lifestyle tips I've picked up from working with my clients over the years:
1. Look for window treatments that block the light no matter how brilliantly the sun shines. I'm especially fond of Duette® honeycomb shades in an opaque opacity and Provenance® Woven Wood Shades with the attached room darkening lining. No matter what type of window treatments you choose, be sure to find one that eliminates light gaps from seams and cord openings (virtually all Hunter Douglas products do this).
2. Look for window treatments that provide sound absorption to keep the noise down. Duette® Architella® honeycomb shades and Vignette® Tiered Architella® Shades are especially good when it comes to absorbing sound and improving your room's acoustic. Along with your window treatments, consider installing double-glazed windows—these will help insulate your room from outside noise.
You'll see specific sound absorption information for each individual Hunter Douglas window treatment inside the Product Details tab on our site. Keep in mind that the degree to which an individual Hunter Douglas window treatment provides sound absorption depends on the fabrics and product features you choose and whether your window covering is open, closed, raised or lowered.
3. Sleep in a cool room. 65 degrees is generally recommended.
4. Try to go to sleep at about the same time each night.
5. Invest in quality linens—I recommend cotton sheets with a minimum 200 thread count. Experiment to find the right blanket weight and pillow thickness.
6. Cut out caffeine late in the day.
7. Take a warm bath before going to bed.
Sleep is something that we all need to lead happy, productive lives. Paying attention to how you decorate your room and a few lifestyle habits can make a big difference!
As always, I hope my suggestions help you as you shop for window fashions. As you browse, I also recommend you use some of these great Hunter Douglas online resources:
Remember: If you have any questions, all you have to do is send us an email, and Ask Sally and Jen.