Philanthropic: Social Responsibility
Hunter Douglas has long been a leader in social responsibility and charitable giving, with generous support of important initiatives and causes that impact both the communities in which we live and work, as well as those on a more global scale. It has always been our belief that sharing our good fortune to assist those in need is both our corporate responsibility, and also a great privilege. Our reputation for leading the industry in this regard is bolstered by the actions of our employees, many of whom have contributed to the cause with their own financial donations and volunteer work.
Our new philanthropic investment fund supports our many charitable activities, including investments in carbon-reducing programs that will help create a cleaner planet and healthier environment. Our support to date includes:
- Colorado Flood Relief Fund
Hunter Douglas recently donated $350,000 to Colorado Flood Relief efforts in the wake of the catastrophic flooding that hit the area this past September. The donations made by employees were matched on a two for one basis, so for every dollar donated by an employee, Hunter Douglas added another two. Funding will go toward two non-profits, the Foothills United Way's Foothills Flood Relief Fund and Team Rubicon, both of which are providing critical assistance to those devastated by the flooding.
- Hunter Douglas Hurricane Sandy Relief & Recovery Fund
In response to the unprecedented destruction caused by Hurricane Sandy in October 2012, Hunter Douglas created the Hunter Douglas Hurricane Sandy Relief & Recovery Fund. In addition to an initial donation of $100,000, Hunter Douglas matched every employee donation on a dollar-for-dollar basis. Fund proceeds are being donated to two highly efficient and effective nonprofits: The New York Times Neediest Cases Hurricane Sandy Relief Effort and Team Rubicon.
- Arbor Day Foundation
Our recent financial contribution to The Arbor Day Foundation will aid this grassroots organization's conservation efforts, including replanting trees lost in U.S. fires, and preserving rain forest land. Our investment here is expected to result in the planting of 15,000 new trees and help save over a million square feet of rain forest.
We will continue to champion a diverse list of respected organizations dedicated to advancing essential causes, including:
- Continuation of our 15-year partnership with Habitat for Humanity, whose goal is to eliminate poverty housing and homelessness from the world, and to make decent shelter a matter of conscience and action. To date, we have donated well over 100,000 window coverings to low-income families, while our employees have invested thousands of hours of "sweat-equity" helping to build hundreds of these homes.
- Window covering donations to hospitals and healthcare facilities around the world to create a more comfortable and comforting setting for ailing patients.
- Participation in disaster relief efforts that provide critical assistance in times of tragedy. Past examples include the Asian tsunami and Hurricane Katrina, where we contributed more than $1.4 million with the broad support of our employees and fabricator customers.
- Financial assistance for educational opportunities for the families of our staff and needy members of our communities.
- Contributing to many other worthy organizations, such as:
- Bal Swan Children's Center
- Ronald McDonald House Charities
- Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer Foundation
- Make A Wish Foundation
- MAN (Minority Athletic Network)